Today it rains.I have so much to do,life has been busy and after two weeks of pain after a dental issue,I feel quite frankly,less than chipper.However….I intend to take a leaf out of my own book and do that which I am so fond of telling other people to do when overwhelmed by the sheer busyness of life.I shall embark on a short period of extreme self care.
I realize that we all seem to be chasing our tails to a certain degree,it is not always easy to find the time to look after number one,believe me I have been juggling life with the dexterity of a Billy Smarts clown for years! But we must,it is essential to our own wellbeing,before they start filling circuses with us.
So here is what I typically will do in order to to bring back some kind of balance in my life,I aim for a week,but a day , a night , a weekend is fine,the point is to commit to whatever you can.It is largely about taking control,giving yourself some breathing space and maybe gaining a different perspective.Take what you need from my list, even if it is just one or two things,it is so worth it.
1. Have a quick scoot around with the vacuum cleaner,waft a duster around and chuck out any rubbish,do a quick tidy up but don’t go overboard,we are merely doing the basics in order that we are comfortable in our homes.
2. Buy or download a book,preferably a novel,light reading or escapism,no self help books or anything too taxing on the brain,failing that buy a trashy magazine with loads of mindless gossip in!
3. Commit yourself to eating simply but healthily for a few days,omelette and salad,stir fry,even beans on toast with poached egg! make life easy for yourself,tell the family to like it or lump it.No standing cooking for hours then crying over the washing up.
4. Make up a big jug of lemon and cucumber water and keep in the fridge,drink often,great for bloating and helps weight loss.
5. Have a daily or nightly salt bath.1 cup of dead sea salt,1 cup of epsom salt,10 drops of lavender oil and 10 drops of ylang ylang oil.Aura cleansing and relaxing.
6. Try and fit in at least one full pamper night,dry body brushing,exfoliating,fake tan if you like,face mask,soak cotton pads in witch hazel and lie down with them on your eyes,I swear its magic! paint your nails and finish by smothering yourself in something gorgeous like scented oil.
7.Wear something slinky and sensuous for bed,ditch the shorts and T shirt,even if you live alone,indulge your senses by feeling fabulously sexy!
8.Go to bed early,you will miss nothing! I promise! put a few drops of lavender oil and marjoram oil in a burner,take a cup of tea and your book.Heaven!(don’t forget to blow out candle before sleep)
9.Weather permitting,go to the beach,a park,a country walk.Leave suburbia for a short while and reconnect with nature,it replenishes the soul.
10. If you dont already,Journal,buy a notebook,write your heart out,anything, hopes, dreams, affirmations, words of inspiration,collect magazine cuttings that inspire you and buy a glue stick! be creative! I will do another post on journaling soon,it is so cathartic.
So….that’s my week sorted! I still have stuff to do,places to go,people to meet etc. but I know I need to pace myself and stick to my plan,How about you?